You get home from a long day at work and turn on the TV. It’s been a long week, so you think to yourself- maybe i’ll take the family to a movie on Saturday. Maybe we’ll even go on a vacation soon! We could visit museums and go to plays and see all sorts of fun attractions.
When you turned the TV on, nothing happened. There are no actors to entertain you.
When you went to the movie theater, nothing was showing. There were no advertisements to tell you that anything was showing, so you went to the theater to find out. Nothing playing. There is no one to film and create movies for you. Well at least your vacation will be fun, right? Not like there will be any plays to see and there won’t be anything in the art museums.
Well at least you have the shack you are living in that you made out of cardboard and sheets.
Not like you could find an architect to build you a house with all the money you’re making as an engineer.
this severely pisses me off.
I don’t really ever post anything, let alone reblog.
But really, really people.
This disgusts me on so many levels. Not because I’m personally offended, I don’t care if you disapprove of my major, but the blatant ignorance of this photo absolutely astounds me.
The label for your brand of shampoo is made by an artist, the design of your wedding ring, the box your prescription glasses came in, never mind the design of the actual frames which was also designed by an artist.
The advertising that got you to try out those new healthy kashi bars, or the tv commercial that convinced you to donate to St. Vincent’s Hospital for their cancer ward, that was put together by an artist.
The architecture rant above me pretty much sums it up but for gods sake the building you work in, the house you live in, the hospital you were born with, they were all designed by architects. Film and Video? Who do you think runs shows like the todays show. Who films them? Your aunt on her handheld video camera? I don’t think so. Someone who earned their degree in videography, who took classes and studied the subject? You bet your ass. And for fine arts, music and drama and theater? Since when has art been considered useless? That disgusts me. What about talent is useless? Yes, it is entertainment, but once upon a time these were seen as great qualities and these people were the real famous stars, not people like Kim Kardashian who leaked a sex tape.
Music is the basis of everything we do. It’s not just an additive, it’s become a way of life. I know, personally, I listen to music almost constantly. I have a playlist for when I’m in the shower, multiple for when I’m working, one for Running, multiple for Driving, it’s on when I’m performing and I even sleep with earbuds in. To push music aside as “useless” is just laughable. It has always been cherished and should continue to be, especially considering how timeless and ever-growing it is.
Everything about this photo is thanks to art. The typeface, the opacity of the background, the lighting on the stage behind them, the set up of this clip from the bar on the bottom of the screen to the logo on the left, all of that is graphic design. I could go on but I’m sure this lengthy rant is already getting too long.
I can barely form coherent paragraphs because I’m so infuriated. This ignorance being broadcasted is why I almost wasn’t able to pursue my passion in art. Because my Dad blindly agreed with these lies until I protested and made my case. I also know others who, unlike me, were forced to go into a major they were not passionate about because their family refused to let them because of idiotic ignorance like this. It’s why so many people are brainwashed into believing that these majors are “useless” when in reality these are the people that create our world that we live in.
I do believe we need all these things, but I think that when they use the word “useless,” I read it as almost a synonym for maybe really hard to get a job with UNLESS you’re pretty damn amazing at it, or have the right connections. I’m roommates with an Illustration major, and a Visual Comm Design major, and both have said the same thing. Finding a job in these markets is especially difficult, and it makes the major look not worthwhile because even though you’re doing something you love, after all those years of college you might not be making enough money with it because you didn’t get placed in a good enough job.
And just because I’m an engineer, I’m just going say that although the architect might design your house, you need an engineer to make sure it won’t collapse on itself, and possibly some more to help with the lighting and other home amenities, and then the construction workers actually build it while the architect just pops in once in a while to make sure his blueprints are being followed. Yes I understand that without the architect, that house idea wouldn’t exist, but don’t harp on other majors to make your point. I know in many things, engineers design their own shit to make other people’s lives better. Believe me, when someone brought up the idea for stage lighting, it was the electricians and electrical engineers who perfected the lightning, and one might even run them for the shows. Even a lot of food requires an engineer to monitor. Even freaking Smuckers jelly has a Chemical Engineer to monitor the pH to make sure it stays just right. Sure, art and music might make the world not boring, but you need the technical majors like engineers to make sure the whole world doesn’t fall apart.
This rant went everywhere and anywhere. SUMMARY: I believe they’re being called “useless” because of how difficult it is to find a job in them sometimes. Esp if your school doesn’t offer co-ops or internships for them. There. I’m done.
- secret-secrets likes this
- starsandskyscrapers reblogged this from zipperaward
- individualitywithenglish reblogged this from dekomoron-archive
- jolierose likes this
- scopesandskullties likes this
- asdirectedbybecky reblogged this from easybakebetty and added:
- setsuna101 reblogged this from metal-rider
- colour-me-endangered reblogged this from loki-eat-your-vitamins
- chiichanlovessyou likes this
- xdieausseiter13x likes this
- tomokotrainer reblogged this from thetell-tale-heart
- itspixelbits reblogged this from thetell-tale-heart
- reillysinneverland likes this
- thetell-tale-heart reblogged this from celindreareblogsthings
- tori979 reblogged this from professional-lamp-fricker
- tori979 likes this
- celindreareblogsthings reblogged this from professional-lamp-fricker
- celindreareblogsthings likes this
- susiesundrop likes this
- painting-a-world likes this
- painting-a-world reblogged this from professional-lamp-fricker
- thesickgirlofeurope likes this
- professional-lamp-fricker reblogged this from carry-on-my-wayward-idjit
- professional-lamp-fricker likes this
- faux-heart reblogged this from myindulgence2
- busywithfangirling likes this
- maebyfunkebluth likes this
- carry-on-my-wayward-idjit reblogged this from thequeenofcliche
- metoasta reblogged this from loutoppingtommo
- thequeenofcliche reblogged this from peggycartered
- sofiashealthyadventure likes this
- rachel715princess reblogged this from whoranwithlarry
- rachel715princess likes this
- lookatitlikeido reblogged this from kawaiikowaianne
- lookatitlikeido likes this
- thetanyapotter reblogged this from luminous-lu
- tacos-no-more reblogged this from ic3-blue
- tacos-no-more likes this
- danger0usperson reblogged this from o-fkristen
- unbe-weave--able reblogged this from tr-opicalwater
- jordongreene reblogged this from its-only-hannah
- tr-opicalwater reblogged this from ic3-blue
- ohgollygeedamn reblogged this from luminous-lu and added:
- devawning likes this
- hspneonorange reblogged this from your-blog-is-riddikulus
- ic3-blue reblogged this from air-th0ughts
- air-th0ughts reblogged this from o-fkristen
- air-th0ughts likes this
- fugly-jaay likes this